Crypto.com is a major cryptocurrency exchange with features and advanced trading options that extend far beyond what is available from most local alternatives. But as with all international exchanges, there are downsides for potential customers in New Zealand.
Variety is a major plus with Crypto.com. There are over 250 cryptocurrencies available, derivatives and margin trading features, and an NFT marketplace. The exchange’s Crypto Earn program lets customers earn interest on many cryptocurrencies, including Bitcoin, Ethereum, and stablecoins like USDC.
Crypto.com allows Kiwis to make crypto purchases using New Zealand dollars, but that comes with a fee of up to 3.99% for credit/debit card processing (the only payment option for NZD). It’s not possible to withdraw money in NZD, which means customers have to look for alternatives such as transferring crypto to a local exchange that does and cashing out from there. Minimum purchases can be as low as just $1 USD.
The Crypto.com mobile app is at the centre of the exchange, allowing customers to deposit funds, invest, manage their portfolios, and much more. Some have described the user experience as a little complicated, but it’s certainly not short of functionality.
Crypto.com also has a range of Visa cards available to New Zealanders and lets holders earn CRO (Crypto.com’s own digital token) rewards. Its cards allow for CRO rebates on payments for popular services, including Spotify, Netflix and Amazon Prime.
- Tranding fees: Maker/taker 0.075% (high volume trading discounts apply)
- Credit card processing fee: Up to 3.99% (waived for the first 30 days)
- Fiat withdrawal fee: N/A
Pros and cons
- Offers a range Visa cards that let customers earn CRO on spend.
- It’s possible to purchase crypto in NZD.
- Earn interest on 40+ cryptocurrencies and stablecoins with Crypto Earn.
- A fully-featured mobile app. A separate DeFi, user-custodied wallet is also available.
- It’s not possible to cash out in NZD.
- Credit/debit card is the only way to deposit directly with NZD and involves a fee of up to 3.99%.
- No local customer service.